Binary Cocoa has been something I’ve been working on for years. We’re nearing the time when we open up preorders for our game 400X. Our company is now on Desura, and you can see the company page by following the handy dandy button to the right. We’ll be updating it at least twice a week to keep everyone up to date on our progress.
I have spent most of my free time developing a game and I have really been enjoying it. I have learned quite a bit, and I think that the development community as a whole could benefit from what my experience. I will try to keep the posting brief by only covering one item per post. Here we go…
There is a lot of hardware out there. In my development team we have 3 operating systems, each with unique drives, hardware, specs and even locales. This can prove to be quite a challenge, especially since we want to reach as wide of an audience as possible. It has been a good thing though. By using multiple systems, we have found bugs now easily, and I feel like we have higher quality code. It also ensures that we follow real standards.
So in short, have a wide variety of systems to test on and you may find, just like I do, that your code quality improves.
Generally I post things related to tech, this is just general geekery. My son typically doesn’t like costumes, but his enjoyment of Star Trek was strong enough for this. Marnee made this for him and I think she did a wonderful job, as does Alex. Hopefully he will actually wear it for more than 5 minutes.
It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything here. The reasons are many, but let’s just say I’ve been exceptionally busy. In the last few months I’ve done the following:
- Launched a very basic lunk.it site, soon to be heavily updated and actually made marketable.
- Worked with the great folks at Trek Global to fix a lot of bugs with an ERP implementation. (If you don’t know what ERP is, give me a call, it’s good stuff.)
- Taught myself Lua, and made excellent progress on 400X, a game about one nanobot’s struggle to keep a human infection free. We aim to have preorders opening up on Nov 9, so spread the word.
Now that I’ve gotten my feet underneath me again, I figured I should post the update there. As I make headway in these (and other projects) I’ll post it here. Oh, I also have a new phone number, so if you are trying to get a hold of me, shoot me an email and I’ll give you my new number.
Keeping sessions on the disk hurts scalability. Put sessions somewhere else (like memcache) and do it without changing your codebase.
Add the new save handler:
Give it the proper path:
Make sure that you have the memcache extension added to your Boxfile, and that you have a memcache component. Now you have sessions that are fast and they are in a session store that shouldn’t be a bottleneck anytime soon. Keep in mind that memcache is volatile, so this may not be the best idea for you. This should be adaptable to redis, which is less volatile, but I’ve never tried it.